There are many things I love about our home, but one of them is our "gum drop" tree.
I mean, look at it! It's gorgeous.
Perfectly shaped.
Beautiful in every season.
And doesn't it look like a gum drop??
And it's branches are perfect to hang this little swing :)
Well, a couple of days before baby girl came into the world, there was a gust of wind.
The gum drop tree was no more.
Yep. A gust of wind did THAT to our beautiful tree.
A storm was a brewin', so Caleb went outside to get our flag down before the rain came.
There was a gust of wind and then he heard a crack!
Bye, bye tree.
One good thing that came out of our losing this amazingly gorgeous tree was that Caleb was able to use his chainsaw. Seriously, he was really excited.
Our dear neighbor came and helped with the tree removal :)
The man at work.
It took days for us to get the tree down to a stump.
Mainly because Adelaide was born 2 days after the tree incident.
Some of the young men from our youth group at church came and helped though, which was such a blessing!
So now, instead of a beautiful gum drop tree in our front yard, we have….a stump.
Not as grandiose as the tree, by any means.
Oh, well.
It will do for now.
At least I got a picture of it in every stage! haha
and I am very grateful that nobody was hurt when it fell.
It was so bizarre that a GUST OF WIND could tear down that much of our tree.
Do you see the gospel application here??
Don't you love when real life events help you understand a gospel principle better?
Think about it.
You saw how gorgeous that tree was from the first picture.
It looked strong. It held my baby boy in his swing many, many times.
Then why was it that a mere gust of wind took down 1/3 of the tree?
It was weak on the inside.
We can be doing all the outside actions that we need to be doing,
but if our testimonies are weak, then when that "gust of wind" comes, we, too, will fall.
Nurturing our testimonies daily will truly help us to stand strong when those hard times come.
We will not fall.
We will be strong!
Lessons Learned from our Gum Drop Tree:
1. When buying a house, find out what plants are already there
and learn what you need to do to maintain them.
2. Just because something looks strong on the outside
does not mean that it is strong on the inside.
3. While Bradford pears are beautiful, they are a pain to take care of.
4. Caleb really loves using a chainsaw.
It's exhausting chopping down a tree.








Yes...it was a beautiful tree...I even have a PERSONAL memory of it...AFTER it fell down and BEFORE it was cut up...Garvin and I went outside to check out the damage and to see if we could find the REASON is split like that....Cannon followed us over to the tree...I so LOVED his reaction...He placed his darling little hands on his face...and kept making..."Oh...oh...oh..." kind of noises...because the the tree fell down...SO SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, I remember now haha Since I showed him this post, he has been reminding me of when DadDad cut down the tree haha :) Love his memory of it!
DeleteI wonder if there is something behind trees falling when babies are born? We had our tree fall when Kate was 2 days home from the hospital. I take it as a new journey ahead!
ReplyDeleteThat is a great way to look at it Laura!
Delete