Here is what you all have been waiting for…her birth story!! :)
I'm not really sure where to begin, but I guess I will just start the day she was born.
That is as good a place as any.
1 a.m. that morning, May 14th, I woke up because of some pretty nasty contractions. I was able to fall back asleep though, but then woke up around 5:30/6 a.m. I started timing the contractions and they were about 6 minutes apart, then 4 minutes apart. Caleb was getting ready for work and I said, "I don't think you will be going into work today!" We started prepping to leave for the hospital!
I am always excited for that moment, but I also feel so apprehensive because what if they don't admit me?? Stressful.
We had already gone to the hospital on Sunday because I thought I "sprung a leak" (sick.) And I called my doctor's office and because I tested positive for GBS they wanted me to come in just in case, but alas, I was not in labor and my water had not leaked.
Anyway, we were getting ready to drop Cannon off at our friends house and then we were headed to the hospital. My doctor's office wanted me to call the office first before going to the hospital so that they can alert the hospital that I was on my way. So there we are driving to the hospital, and I call my doctor's office and they tell me to come into the office for a labor check.
WHAT?!?!
Are they serious?!?
Yes, they were.
"It's our procedure."
Blah.
So we had to turn in the OPPOSITE directions to go to my doctor's office. Caleb was, shall we say, a bit irate with the whole situation of having a "labor check" appointment before going in to the hospital. We have never heard of such a thing! I was discouraged by it because I was sure that they were going to send me home. I'll admit it. I cried.
We get to the office at 9 a.m. I sign in. Still having contractions people!! We are sitting in the waiting area, and Caleb sees me start to cry because of one of the contractions and he "calmly" asks the receptionist why we have to come here when I was clearly in labor. She politely responded that, again, it was just their procedure and that they would see me shortly.
They finally called me back and the doctor came in to see me. She checked me and I was a three!! Yay!! I was at least hoping to be dilated to a one and half! Now that my "labor check" appointment was complete, we could head over to the hospital!
Sweet relief, she was finally coming!
Since I knew I was only a three I figured we had some time, so we stopped at McDonald's for some breakfast haha Mmmm.
When I had Cannon they didn't let me eat anything, so I wanted to make sure I had eaten something before embarking of birthing this girl!
We get to the hospital at 10 a.m. and they do admit me. We were blessed to have the NICEST nurse. I love her. I had to be put on antibiotics because of the GBS; which was no fun. I hate needles and IV's. They make me nervous and I think they are very painful. When the antibiotics flowed into my blood stream there was a burning painful sensation--sometimes that hurt worse than the contractions! Only sometimes though. I had told her that I did not want an epidural, so we were all prepared for a natural birth.
Our room :)
Now the waiting game.
The last belly picture! Yay!
Around 12:30, the food and nutrition lady came by with jello! And a really eerie green looking broth…but they had jello! And apple juice! How awesome is that?! I was so excited to eat some food!
The contractions started to get way painful, but Caleb and Mom helped me to get through them. I was getting super tired! Around 3 o'clock the nurse checked me and I was so hopeful that I was an 8, because those contractions were intense! When she said I was dilated to a 6 my heart dropped. I looked at Caleb and said, "I can't do it, I'm so tired. I want to get an epidural." The nurse said that because we hadn't planned on getting one, she would need to go request it and organize all the equipment needed for it.
As she was going around gathering the equipment, I had to pee super bad. I asked her if it was okay if I went to the bathroom and of course she said yes. They helped me get up and afterwards, instead of laying down again, the nurse, Sandi, suggested that I stand next to the bed. So there I was standing by the bed holding Caleb's hand while the nurse was massaging my back.
During this time, these contractions were almost unbearable. All of a sudden felt like I needed to push, so I told the nurse and she told me to get back on the bed and she would check me again. (This was only about 20 or 30 minutes after I had asked for an epidural.)
She went to check me and she saw the babies head! She ran and opened the door and yelled, "I need a delivery team in here NOW!" (So much for all the TV shows where they say "STAT".)
Seconds later nurses rush in and the room quickly transformed into a delivery room. The doctor, Dr. Solomon, came in and I started pushing and (leaving out gory details) she slipped on out! She came out really fast and it was such a relief! I am pretty sure that after she came I looked at Caleb, smiled, and gave him a high five haha
This next picture is slightly embarrassing because you can totally tell how round and chubby my face is, but I still love it! This was moments after she was born and I love that you can see the excitement in my face! haha I was seriously so relieved and excited that she was here!
No wonder I gave Caleb a high five. This was definitely a high five moment!
We did it! And I was able to do it without an epidural again :) I feel so blessed that I progressed so quickly from a 6 to a 10. I was definitely praying the whole time, asking for Heavenly Father to give me strength to deliver one of His precious daughters.
I am so blessed to have a wonderful husband who is so kind and lets me squeeze his hand as hard I want without complaining at all, while he still has a smile on his face. I am also blessed to have a wonderful Mom who was able to come and be with us again in the delivery room. The thing that comforted me this time was squeezing holding Caleb's hand and having my Mom rub my right foot. They were so accommodating.
Welcome to the world little angel, Adelaide!
We love her!
Our awesome, wonderful, helpful, and kind nurse Sandi!
Cannon and Adelaide meeting for the first time :)
This picture cracks me up.
Overall it was a wonderful day! We were so blessed to welcome a healthy baby girl to our family. Cannon seems to love her and I am excited for them to grow up together and become best buddies!
Adelaide Rose
7 lbs 10 oz
19.5 in
3:48 p.m.
May 14, 2014
xo












I LOVED every bit of your story! SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU and your DARLING FAMILY!!!!! I can hardly wait to MEET my newest precious GRANDDAUGHTER! smile
ReplyDelete